Thursday, June 29, 2006

Special Request For Your Prayers

We have some neighbors, Dennis and Yvette, that we have become close to since moving here last year. They have 3 kids that our kids play with almost every day. Over the past several months we have invited them over for FHE, birthday parties, dinner, etc.
On Sunday the missionaries came by to visit us and finally we felt like it was time to introduce them to our friends next door. It was a perfect first meeting, friendly and casual, just a brief "getting to know you" visit. And then on Tuesday, through a conversation with Yvette, I found out that she and Dennis are really struggling in their marriage and facing a major cross-roads for their family. They will probably be moving back to her homestate across the country in August, when their lease ends here. I found my courage, I guess because I figure if they're leaving, I have nothing to lose anyway, and did my best to testify of the importance of family unity and the foundation that the Gospel provides; that Heavenly Father has power that can heal wounds in relationships; that I have faith in their family, eventhough she feels hopeless. I gave her a copy of the Proclamation to the World/The Family and then the next day I took a copy of the Book of Mormon over to Dennis. No matter how hard I tried to convey my feelings, my words felt weak. I think I realize now more than I ever have how we just have to do our best and have faith that the Holy Ghost can "fill in the blanks."
I talked with the missionaries yesterday and they came over today and had what they described to be an awesome discussion with Dennis. (Yvette was working). They feel like there is a lot of potential for helping Dennis to accept the Gospel.
Now I am just hoping and praying that Yvette will also have a softened heart and be willing to learn about the Gospel as well.
Since it is fast Sunday this Sunday, I will be fasting for their family, and ask you, if you'd like, to join me. I have never felt so intensely about helping others to learn about our Heavenly Father's plan as I do with these friends; I see what a critical point they're at in their lives and I fear for what might become of their family if they don't have a small miracle.

2 comments:

fred said...

Brit, if you are on their side along with our prayers, how can it fail? It is hard to see people struggle.

Cami said...

We'll be thinknig of you and them. Sounds like a great teaching moment for the kids, too! Thanks for sharing!